From £20,000 DOE – Nottingham NG1 or remote
We’re always looking for enthusiastic junior or graduate developers to join the team at JH. This is an opportunity to dive into the world of web development – building your programming skills and practical experience by working on a range of challenging and projects for exciting clients, with support and guidance from an experienced development team. Sound good? Read on!
Who we are
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating eCommerce websites on the Magento platform. Over the past ten years, we’ve worked with a broad spectrum of brands, providing strategy, design, and development for online stores that are used by millions of people. Our industry-leading practice has cultivated long-term client relationships, won international eCommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year.
We’re firm believers that our success is tied to the success of our people – and we want JH to be a great place to work for all of our colleagues. So we offer flexitime, remote working, top-of-the-range equipment, generous annual leave, personal development and wellness budgets, ongoing training, optional paid overtime, fun social events and a lot more – and in usual times, we have a great central Nottingham office stocked with everything you’d expect, as well as snacks, drinks and a beer fridge.
What does the job involve?
The development team is expanding and we’re looking for several graduate developers to join us. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a wide range of web projects, each challenging you with their unique technical problems.
This role isn’t just about code: you’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, collaborating with our talented team of developers and designers. We’ll provide support, feedback, and guidance so you always have the skills and confidence to produce brilliant work and grow into an important member of the Development team. This role would suit someone either recently graduated or with a few years experience.
The main responsibilities for this role are:
- Learn to write efficient code to our high standards
- Work with frontend and backend web technologies with the option to specialise
- Contribute to decision making, with input from the broader technical team, related to all aspects of the technology platform
- Learn to translate complex technical considerations into language that non-technical clients can understand and use to make informed decisions
- Product, platform and technology selection, reviewing the pros and cons of different approaches or products, and contributing on the best technical platform for delivery taking into account both initial development, release processes as well as longer-term maintenance with the support of the wider technical team
- Providing support and mentorship to other Graduate Developers
- Contributing to our internal projects, processes and tooling
- Follow, communicates and enforces our development standards and processes
- Embrace how security and performance are at the foundation of all requirement
- Be comfortable working within a team or in isolation on small tasks
What we’re looking for
We’re on the lookout for developers who can fulfil most of the criteria listed below. However, this is a junior role, so we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s much more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning and ambition to develop your skills that will enable you to continue growing with us at JH.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- Graduated from university with a Computer Science or related degree
- Basic understanding of design patterns, general object-oriented and functional programming
- Ability to debug issues using your experience of language, platform and environment
- Ability to make decisions in fast-changing environments and ambiguous situations
- An eye for details, with an appreciation of quality
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- A genuine desire to be constantly learning, and sharing new practices
Things that would set you apart:
- Knowledge and experience with Magento
- Server administration/DevOps knowledge
- Contribute to open source and community projects
Why work for us?
As well as a competitive salary – from £20k DOE – you’ll also enjoy a range of benefits including:
- Flexitime and working from home
- Generous allowance for annual leave
- Budget for professional development (e.g. attending development conferences)
- Budget for personal wellness (e.g. taking yoga classes)
- Your choice of hardware and software
- Ongoing support from your peers and managers
How to apply
Sound like the job for you? Click here to apply.
No recruiters please!