Head of People
Location: Remote (UK based)
Contract: Part time (Between 22.5 and 26.5hours per week – Flexible working week options available)
Salary: Starting from £55,000 (pro-rata)
About this role
We’re on the lookout for a HR professional with a passion for all things people and culture to join the team! Ideally, you’re a HR generalist with experience in working in a remote-first business and have a passion for talent management. You’re already working at People Manager level, or you’re ready to take your next step up.
This is a standalone People position that also sits within the senior leadership team, reporting directly to our CEO.
You’ll be overseeing – and improving – the entire employee lifecycle and experience. Passionately driving and constantly evolving the people strategy, you’ll relish developing new ways to engage our team members, and making sure our team and culture is two steps ahead and always thriving.
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating first-class ecommerce websites on the Adobe Commerce & Magento platform. Over the past ten years, we’ve worked with a huge range of brands, providing strategy, design, and development for online stores that are used by millions of people. Our industry-leading practice has cultivated long-term client relationships, won international ecommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year.
We’re firm believers that our success is tied to the success of our people – and we want JH to be a great place to work for all of our colleagues. So we offer flexitime, remote working, top-of-the-range equipment, generous annual leave, personal development and wellness budgets, ongoing training, optional paid overtime, fun social events and a lot more – and in usual times, we have a great central Nottingham office stocked with everything you’d expect, as well as snacks, drinks and a beer fridge.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be responsible for:
- Driving and evolving the people strategy, making sure we’re always making moves to better the team and company culture
- Discovering and attracting talent, building a strong employment brand and developing great relationships to ensure that we remain two steps ahead
- Creating the JH employer brand and company culture that continues to attract top talent and keeps them engaged to grow with us
- Creating and leading an amazing onboarding process for new starters
- Working with the managers to ensure the teams’ learning and development needs are met, and that they’re working in line with their professional development plans
- Working with the wider business to implement and embed an employee review and development process
- Building and leading the strategy for a fantastic “remote first” culture
- Working with the marketing team on the internal communication strategy
- Working with the business to develop a schedule of social events for our team, and constantly evolve it in line with the team’s needs
- Dealing with day-to-day People queries and matters
- Ensuring the People company policies remain updated and relevant
- Being a champion for workplace wellbeing and support
What we’re looking for
This role requires someone who can fulfil the majority of the criteria listed below. However, we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning that will enable you to continue growing at JH.
The main things we’re looking for:
- Previous experience working in a standalone HR generalist role
- Experience working with employment contracts and their terms
- Strong understanding of core employment law principles
- Strong understanding of best practice recruitment processes
- You’re all about having a positive impact on the people you interact with
- A passion for improving processes, and for creating a happy-functioning team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Great self-motivation, enthusiasm and energy
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to manage lots of priorities at once
Other things that would set you apart:
- CIPD part or full qualification
- Fluent with G Suite
- Proven experience of implementing a people strategy in a previous role
- You’ve worked in an agency environment before
- You have knowledge or an interest in the tech and/or ecommerce industry
We offer a range of benefits such as:
- Flexitime and working from home
- 31 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Budget and plans for professional development
- Budget for personal wellness
- Your choice of hardware and software
- Home office fund
Working flexibly & remotely at JH
We’re open to both remote and hybrid ways of working and had been working remote-first long before the COVID pandemic, while still offering our Nottingham office – with safety measures in place – for people that wish to use it. We’ve transitioned well because we’ve worked from home and employed remote staff for a number of years. We already had the processes, technology, and mindsets that are helpful, and have several initiatives that support the continuation of positive communication, culture, and wellbeing.
For this role, we are open to hiring someone based in the UK who would work remotely. As restrictions ease, there will be occasions where face-to-face meetings with the JH team and/or visits to our Nottingham HQ are necessary; these would be facilitated with safety as a priority.
How to apply
Sound like the job for you? Click here to apply.
No recruiters please!