Junior Digital Designer (UX/UI)
From £22,000 DOE – Nottingham NG1 or remote (UK based)
We’re always looking for enthusiastic junior level designers to join the team at JH. This is an opportunity to dive into the world of UX design – building your creative skills and practical experience by working on a range of challenging and projects for exciting clients, with support and guidance from an experienced design team. Sound good? Read on!
Who we are
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating eCommerce websites on the Magento platform. Over the past ten years, we’ve worked with a broad spectrum of brands, providing strategy, design, and development for online stores that are used by millions of people. Our industry-leading practice has cultivated long-term client relationships, won international eCommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year.
We’re firm believers that our success is tied to the success of our people – and we want JH to be a great place to work for all of our colleagues. So we offer flexitime, remote working, top-of-the-range equipment, generous annual leave, personal development and wellness budgets, ongoing training, optional paid overtime, fun social events and a lot more – and in usual times, we have a great central Nottingham office stocked with everything you’d expect, as well as snacks, drinks and a beer fridge.
What does the job involve?
You’ll be working alongside the rest of the design team on a variety of internal and client projects. Each one offers exciting and unique challenges that require thoughtful problem solving and plenty of proactive collaboration. The goal will be to create experiences and assets that are visually appealing, intuitive to use, and effective at meeting business and user needs. You’ll also receive ongoing support and coaching from the design team in order for you to grow and develop your skills as a designer.
Main client-side responsibilities:
- Receive design briefs and understand the project requirements
- Produce UX deliverables such as sitemaps and wireframes
- Produce UI deliverables such as mood boards, style guides and mockups
- Produce creative assets such as icons, illustrations and imagery
- Present work to colleagues and clients, interpret feedback and develop designs
- Hand off your work and assets successfully to designers, developers and client services
- Collaborate with developers to review and refine built designs
- Share and collaborate with the rest of the design team
You’ll also be involved with internal projects:
- Promote design practice and culture within the business
- Deploy our brand guidelines across different applications
- Design and produce assets for our marketing campaigns
- Contribute to community events like Meet Magento and Design Exchange
What we’re looking for
We’re on the lookout for designers who can fulfil most of the criteria listed below. You should be able to demonstrate your existing skills and experience using relevant examples from past work – whether that’s from a design role, freelance or personal work, or a combination of all three. However, this is a junior role, so we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s much more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning and ambition to develop your skills that will enable you to continue growing with us at JH.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- Some experience within a design role, or freelance
- A creative portfolio that demonstrates great design work
- An understanding of responsive web design
- Ability to work in collaboration with others
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly in writing and face-to-face
- Ability to receive and respond to constructive feedback
- Desire to continue learning and progress in your design career
What we’ll look for in your portfolio:
- The strength and depth of your creative skills
- The process and thinking used to solve problems
- Care and attention in the final product
Things that would set you apart:
- Understanding of front-end technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Experience of preparing designs for print and other physical applications
- Ability to adapt your approach for different project constraints
- Desire to help contribute to or speak at community events
Why work for us?
As well as a competitive salary – from £22k DOE – you’ll also enjoy a range of benefits including:
- Flexitime and working from home
- Generous allowance for annual leave
- Budget for professional development (e.g. attending design conferences)
- Budget for personal wellness (e.g. taking yoga classes)
- Your choice of hardware and software
- Ongoing support from your peers and managers
How to apply
Sound like the job for you? Click here to apply.
No recruiters please!
Once you’ve applied, the hiring process looks like this:
- Review: we assess each application against this job description
- Chat: we have an informal call with suitable candidates
- Interview: we invite the top candidates for an in-depth interview
- Offer: we select the best candidate and make them an offer
- Welcome: we start planning for the arrival of our new colleague