Lead UX/UI Designer
We’re looking for an accomplished digital product designer to lead the day-to-day delivery and long-term improvement of our design services. This role combines hands-on UX and UI work with management responsibilities.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be working in a multidisciplinary delivery team (pod), reporting directly to the respective pod lead, and line managing other designers. Within the pod, you’ll take ownership of the planning and production of design work for several client accounts. Your projects will range from iterative tweaks to wholesale redesigns with your process and tools adapting accordingly. You’ll also be leading the design chapter which drives engagement and improvement across our creative roles.
You’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, actively consulting and collaborating with stakeholders so that your design solutions are commercially aware and technically feasible.
- Contribute to marketing campaigns that attract new business
- Support sales activities like pitches, proposals, and quotes
- Suggest ideas for client roadmaps that support strategic goals
- Advocate for user needs, good practice, and emerging trends
- Select the process, tasks and deliverables best suited to each project
- Conduct discovery activities such as workshops, audits, and research
You’ll employ advanced skills and experience to create exceptional ecommerce experiences that are visually appealing, intuitive to use, and effective at meeting project objectives.
- Produce UX deliverables such as wireframes, user flows, and prototypes
- Produce UI deliverables such as mood boards, style guides, and mockups
- Produce creative assets such as icons, illustrations, and imagery
- Present your deliverables to gather feedback and build consensus
- Document your solutions for others to implement
- Collaborate with developers to check and refine coded designs
You’ll be a standard bearer for design impact and good practice, providing support to other designers, and enabling cross-functional initiatives for wider business success.
- Improve the quality and efficiency of design practices
- Coach other designers on their professional development
- Promote design service and culture within the business
What we’re looking for
Ideally you’re already working in a lead position, but we’re also interested in hearing from talented senior designers who are ready to take on leadership responsibilities. This role requires someone who can fulfil the majority of the criteria listed below. However, we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning that will enable you to continue growing at JH. The main things we’re looking for:
- Significant experience working in a similar design role
- Portfolio that demonstrates a track record of successful projects
- Experience of scoping, estimating, and planning work
- Experience of conducting quantitative and qualitative research activities
- Experience of producing high quality UX and UI deliverables
- Experience of designing for mobile, tablet, and desktop devices
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly in writing and face-to-face
- Ability to receive and respond to constructive feedback and offer it to others
- Ability to work autonomously or in collaboration with others
- Ability to adapt your approach for different project constraints
- Experience of managing or coaching other designers
Other things that would set you apart:
- Experience of designing ecommerce websites
- Experience of facilitating workshop sessions
- Experience of planning strategic roadmaps
- Experience of running conversion optimisation
- Desire to write or speak about your work
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating exceptional ecommerce websites on the Adobe Commerce platform (formerly Magento). Over the past twelve years, we’ve worked with a broad range of market-leading retailers, providing strategy, design, and development services to create online stores that are used by millions of people. Our first-class practice has cultivated enduring client relationships, won international ecommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year. We’re currently hiring roles to fulfil our company vision for the next 12 months.
Benefits of working at JH
We offer a range of benefits such as:
- Remote working
- Flexible hours
- 31 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Funds for professional development, home office setup, and personal wellness
- Quarterly personal development plans
- Top of the range hardware and software
- Remote and in-person company events
Working remotely at JH
We’re open to hiring someone based in the UK who would work remotely most of the time. Because this is a client facing role, there will be occasions when you need to attend face-to-face meetings with colleagues and clients. These would be facilitated with safety as a priority, but you must be comfortable taking part. JH has been working remote-first since the start of the pandemic and operates several initiatives that support the continuation of positive communication, culture, and wellbeing. We transitioned easily because we’ve worked from home and employed remote staff for a number of years, so we already had the processes, technology, and mindsets that are helpful.
How to apply
You will be asked to provide the following things:
- Cover letter with an explanation of what attracts you to this position
- CV emphasising the relevant experience you have
- Portfolio demonstrating your best design work — we’re happy to receive any format: PDF, website, slideshow, etc.
Once you’ve applied, the hiring process looks like this:
- Review: we assess each application against this job description
- Chat: we have an informal call with suitable candidates
- Interview: we invite the top candidates for deeper interviews
- Offer: we select the best candidate and make them an offer
- Welcome: we start planning for the arrival of our new colleague