Mid-level UX/UI Designer
We’re looking for a mid-level digital designer to help us create effective ecommerce experiences for a wide range of retailers and their customers.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be producing design work within a multidisciplinary delivery team (pod) that services multiple client accounts. Your projects will range from iterative tweaks to wholesale redesigns, with your collaborators, process, and tools adapting accordingly.
You’ll also be part of the design chapter which brings together creative roles from across the company to raise standards, improve practices, and share knowledge.
Day to day, you’ll report into the respective Pod Lead. Your design work and ongoing professional development will also be supported by our Lead Designer.
You’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, actively consulting and collaborating with stakeholders so that your design solutions are commercially aware and technically feasible.
- Suggest the process, tasks, and deliverables best suited to each project
- Contribute to discovery activities such as workshops, audits, and research
- Champion user needs, good practice, and emerging design trends
You’ll employ mature skills and experience to create exceptional ecommerce experiences that are visually appealing, intuitive to use, and effective at meeting project objectives.
- Produce UX deliverables such as wireframes, user flows, and prototypes
- Produce UI deliverables such as mood boards, style guides, and mockups
- Produce creative assets such as icons, illustrations, and imagery
- Present your deliverables to gather feedback and build consensus
- Document your solutions for others to implement
- Collaborate with developers to check and refine coded designs
You’ll be helping to maximise the impact of our design services by investing in your own development and contributing to growth initiatives within the design chapter.
- Gain capabilities through hands-on work and personal development
- Improve the quality and efficiency of shared design practices
- Promote design benefits and culture within the business
What we’re looking for
Ideally you’re already working in a mid-level position, but we’re also interested in hearing from talented junior designers who are ready to take the next step in their career.
This role requires someone who can fulfil the majority of the criteria listed below. However, we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning that will enable you to continue growing at JH.
The main things we’re looking for:
- Experience working in a similar design role
- Portfolio demonstrating your capabilities and impact
- Experience of producing high quality UX and UI deliverables
- Experience of designing for mobile, tablet, and desktop devices
- Ability to capture design briefs from clients and colleagues
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly in writing and face-to-face
- Ability to give, receive, and respond to constructive feedback
- Ability to work autonomously or in collaboration with others
- Ability to adapt your approach for different project constraints
Other things that would set you apart:
- Experience of designing ecommerce websites
- Experience of scoping, estimating, and planning work
- Experience of facilitating workshop sessions
- Experience of conducting research activities
- Desire to write or speak about your work
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating exceptional ecommerce websites on the Adobe Commerce platform (formerly Magento). Over the past twelve years, we’ve worked with a broad range of market-leading retailers, providing strategy, design, and development services to create online stores that are used by millions of people. Our first-class practice has cultivated enduring client relationships, won international ecommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year.
Benefits of working at JH
We offer a range of benefits such as:
- Remote working
- Flexible hours
- 31 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Funds for professional development, home office setup, and personal wellness
- Quarterly personal development plans
- Top of the range hardware and software
- Remote and in-person company events
Working remotely at JH
We’re open to hiring someone based in the UK who would work remotely most of the time. Because this is a client facing role, there will be occasions when you need to attend face-to-face meetings with colleagues and clients. These would be facilitated with safety as a priority, but you must be comfortable taking part.
JH has been working remote-first since the start of the pandemic and operates several initiatives that support the continuation of positive communication, culture, and wellbeing. We transitioned easily because we’ve worked from home and employed remote staff for a number of years, so we already had the processes, technology, and mindsets that are helpful.
How to apply
You will be asked to provide the following things:
- CV emphasising the relevant experience you have
- Portfolio showcasing your best design work (we’re happy to receive any format: PDF, website, slideshow, etc.)
Once you’ve applied, the hiring process looks like this:
- Review: we assess each application against this job description
- Chat: we have an informal call with suitable candidates
- Interview: we invite the top candidates for deeper interviews
- Offer: we select the best candidate and make them an offer
- Welcome: we start planning for the arrival of our new colleague