Senior UX/UI Designer
Up to £35,000k (DOE) – Nottingham or Remote (UK based)
About this role
We are looking for a creative and experienced Digital Designer, with a mixture of UX and UI skills to join our design team. Ideally you’re already working at a senior level, or you’re an experienced mid-level designer ready to take a step up.
In this role, you’ll take ownership of the strategy and execution of design work for multiple client accounts. You’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, actively consulting and collaborating with stakeholders and colleagues so that your design solutions are commercially aware and technically feasible.
You’ll employ advanced skills and experience to create exceptional ecommerce experiences that are visually appealing, intuitive to use, and effective at meeting project objectives. You’ll be a standard bearer for good design practice, providing support to other designers, and enabling cross-functional initiatives for wider business success.
What you’ll be doing
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Support our sales activities by contributing to proposals and pitches
- Select the process, tasks and deliverables best suited to each project
- Conduct discovery activities such as design workshops, site audits and user research
- Produce UX deliverables such as wireframes, user flows and prototypes
- Produce UI deliverables such as mood boards, style guides and mockups
- Produce creative assets such as icons, illustrations and imagery
- Present your deliverables to gather feedback and build consensus
- Document and hand off your work and assets successfully both internally and to clients
- Collaborate with developers to review and refine built designs
- Suggest ideas for client roadmaps that support strategic goals
- Advocate for user needs, good practice, and emerging trends
- Coach other designers to help them grow
- Assist the Lead Designer in driving standards and improvement in design
Plus we’d like you to be involved in other internal activities such as:
- Improve and promote design practice and culture within the business
- Promote our brand by contributing to our marketing campaigns
- Help organise and contribute to community events like Meet Magento UK and Design Exchange
What we’re looking for
This role requires someone who can fulfil the majority of the criteria listed below. However, we don’t expect you to match everything — it’s more important that you have a passion for lifelong learning that will enable you to continue growing at JH.
The main things we’re looking for:
- Significant experience working in a similar design role
- Portfolio that demonstrates a track record of successful design work
- Experience of producing high quality UX and UI deliverables
- Experience of designing for mobile, tablet, and desktop devices
- Experience of scoping, estimating, and planning work
- Experience of conducting quantitative and qualitative research activities
- Ability to work autonomously or in collaboration with others
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly in writing and face-to-face
- Ability to receive and respond to constructive feedback and offer it to others
- Ability to adapt your approach for different project constraints
- Understanding of front-end technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Desire to continue learning and help others improve
Other things that would set you apart:
- Experience of designing ecommerce websites
- Experience of running strategic activities such as conversion optimisation
- Experience of managing or mentoring other designers
- Desire to organise or speak at community events
JH is a digital agency based in Nottingham that specialises in creating first-class ecommerce websites on the Magento platform. Over the past ten years, we’ve worked with a huge range of brands, providing strategy, design, and development for online stores that are used by millions of people. Our industry-leading practice has cultivated long-term client relationships, won international ecommerce awards, and allowed us to grow the business year-on-year.
Benefits of working at JH
We offer a range of benefits such as:
- Flexitime and working from home
- 31 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Budget and plans for professional development
- Budget for personal wellness
- Your choice of hardware and software
Working remotely at JH
We’ve been working remote-first for several months now and have several initiatives that support the continuation of positive communication, culture, and wellbeing. We recently reopened our Nottingham office with safety measures in place for people that wish to use it. We’ve transitioned well because we’ve worked from home and employed remote staff for a number of years. We already had the processes, technology, and mindsets that are helpful.
For this role, we are open to hiring someone based in the UK who would work remotely. As restrictions ease, we expect there to be occasions where a face-to-face meeting with the team or a client are necessary; these would be facilitated with safety as a priority.
How to apply
Sound like the job for you? Click here to apply.
No recruiters please!
Once you’ve applied, the hiring process looks like this:
- Review: we assess each application against this job description
- Chat: we have an informal call with suitable candidates
- Interview: we invite the top candidates for an in-depth interview
- Offer: we select the best candidate and make them an offer
- Welcome: we start planning for the arrival of our new colleague