Senior Backend Developer
Hybrid or fully remote role
Full time (with fully flexible working)
Are you the type of developer who gets excited when you hear about CI Pipelines and Automated Testing? Having the opportunity to push the boundaries in the industry and being recognised for the impact your work creates?
We’re paving the way forward as an industry-leading agency in PWA eCommerce on Magento and Adobe Commerce. To support this we’re looking for a Senior Backend Developer to join us on this journey.
You will have the opportunity to play a leading role in the adoption and architecture of these new technologies, across a range of projects, each of them challenging you with their unique technical requirements.
We hire people with a passion to strive for that next level of perfection in everything they do; who want to be at the forefront of web technologies and use those technologies to deliver results that turn heads.
We are a remote friendly company. This position is open for both fully remote working, or hybrid at our Nottingham office.
Who we’re hiring
This role isn’t just about code: you’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, collaborating with our talented team of developers and designers. We’ll provide support, feedback, and guidance so you always have the skills and confidence to produce brilliant work and grow into an important member of the Development Team.
This role would suit someone with extensive development experience primarily with the Magento 2 and Adobe Commerce platforms.
The main responsibilities for this role:
- Drive the technology direction with the Lead Developers
- Develop on the Magento platform
- Write PHP to a high standard, agnostic of platforms and frameworks
- Devise, explain, and review technical solutions with the team
- Test work both through automation and manual testing practices
- Collaborate with the wider team to deliver exceptional projects
- Contribute to project planning and estimates
- Support our internal and community projects
The main requirements of this role:
- Extensive experience with Magento 2, PHP and modern frameworks
- Extensive understanding of development principles such as Software Development Patterns, Coding Standards
- Knowledge of automated testing techniques, understanding the purposes different types of tests serve and how to utilise them
- Experience with package managers and version control
- Ability to adapt tools, libraries, and techniques for each problem
- An eye for detail and a passion for our craft
- Good written and face-to-face communication of ideas
- High desire to learn and share new practises
And you’d get some extra points for:
- Server administration or DevOps knowledge
- Experience with Magento’s GraphQL implementation
- Experience with Varnish, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch
- A passion for security
- Contribution to open source and community projects
We offer a range of benefits such as:
- Flexitime and working from home
- 31 days annual leave (inclusive of Bank Holidays)
- Budget and plans for professional development
- Budget for personal wellness
- Your choice of hardware and software
- Home office fund
Working flexibly & remotely at JH
We’re open to both remote and hybrid ways of working and had been working remote-first long before the COVID pandemic, while still offering our Nottingham office – with safety measures in place – for people that wish to use it. We’ve transitioned well because we’ve worked from home and employed remote staff for a number of years. We already had the processes, technology, and mindsets that are helpful, and have several initiatives that support the continuation of positive communication, culture, and wellbeing.
For this role, we are open to hiring someone who would work remotely. We already work with developers across multiple time zones in 6 countries, so we’ve built our process around remote-first working.
Still not sure?
- Check out some of the open source projects that have come from our team over the past few years: BrowserSync, PHPSchool, Workflow
- We sponsor PHPMinds, NottsJS, Project Function
- We organise Meet Magento UK
- Take a look at our Instagram to get an insight into what we’ve been up to
How to apply
Sounds like the job for you? Click here to apply.
No recruiters please!